Pat L Christian

Welcome to my journeys and jottings!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dec 4 2011 White Woman seen in Araria

Today has been a day of rest and a chance to meet the people... and vice versa.

In the morning the tailor came to take my measurements for appropriate attire for the wedding (selvar/ sari).

Suman(Sujeet's brother) and Sujeet's Uncle Vijay, former mayor of Araria, came to greet me.  Then Suman and I took a walk down the busy road that runs by the hotel... very busy...lots of honking and bikes, cars, trucks, cattle, goats, people.  It all got even busier as I walked down the road.  Many people had to stop and just stare... not a rude stare... more like wonderment.  I took that as a cue that I could stare at them too!  The people are just as interesting and different to me as I am to them.  We decided I better go back so as not to cause a traffic jam!  The travel caught up with me, so I went back to lie down for the rest of the day.


In the evening Suman came for me with Rajeev and a driver, to take me back to Mona and Crishna's house (Sujeet's parents).  The house was full of guests.  The people are very joyful... smiling, laughing, hugging.  The family is very loving and affectionate.  I have gotten many hugs from Mona.  When I first entered the home, Mona took me on a tour of her kitchen, bedrooms, and other lounging rooms.  I saw some of Swati's artworks. 


Swati, Sujeet's sister (Rajeev's wife) took me about to meet many people.  I met so many people I could not begin to record them all, so I will limit myself to Sujeet's immediate family for the most part.



One young man of maybe 12?, named Anshu, stayed with me during the evening, serving as my interpreter and guide.  He asked me many questions.  We each sang a song we knew.  We had lots of laughs.



After a little while Suman came to fetch me as the men wanted me to sit with them!  I was honored by Sujeet's father, Khrishna, and his boss, and the another elder of the family (Krishna's older brother).



I was greatly honored by Sujeet's family and they welcomed me with great affection.  We all had many laughs as we tried to communicate.  Mona particularly touched my heart.  She is a leader and very wise, yet humble and very very loving.  I am so glad to have met Sujeet's mama.


Everyone took me upstairs to their holy room where a priest and other men were saying prayers.  Ladies came and lit incense and the men sang songs of blessing for Sujeet and Jyoti.  They sat/ stood before a table clothe spread with fruits and flowers given as offerings to the gods.  After a while, when the rest of us had gone downstairs, the men and Sujeet reappeared each carrying a tiny lamp.  Thy carried the lamps swiftly around the house and the people would wave the smoke from the "holy fire" over their faces (signifying their respect for the gods and that light had come to them).

At one point the adults had left me to go into the inner rooms to eat.  Sujeet and Suman have been very careful to only feed me at the hotel so I should not eat anything that might cause stomach upset.  (The water and fresh foods can cause Americans great difficulty.) The teen aged girls took me outside in the dark to where loud music was coming from.  "Marriage.. Marriage"  they said with excitement and laughter.  A tent and tables had been set up and a party was in progress.  I felt shy entering the tent and only peaked in.  Besides the tables of people eating, there was a platform in the back with a red velvet couch and a young man sitting there.  Suman later explained to me that there was another wedding going on, and likely the groom was sitting on the couch.

When I came back to the hotel for supper and rest, Suman, Anshu and I went on to Facebook, so I could show them the pictures of snow, my family, and my daughter Sarah's wedding.

I feel so honored to be the first American to come and visit Sujeet's family and friends.  I told them I was the best.  This is because I am very open to trying new things, and I feel so strongly God's love for them.  I must explain to Suman so he can explain to them.  Not all Americans are so open to different ways and cultures and not all feel God's love so strongly.  I would not like to see such a gracious and loving people offended.  I hope all foreigners who come to this place will always treat these people with the respect they deserve.



There has been another bonus for me on this trip.  So many of the customs of the Indian people are similar to Biblical customs. (the upper room for worship, removing the sandals before entering the home, the notion of God and light  "Jesus is the Light of the world" , the robe Mona placed over my shoulders to welcome me, when I first stepped out of the car, like the father who had a robe placed over his prodigal son, when he had finally returned home, to name a few.)



I ended the evening sharing a little of the Christmas story with Suman and Anshu.  Remember the Wise Men of the East, dressed in their bright colored robes and offering spices to the King of the Jews, the One foretold in the Old Testament, and announced by a new star?  What other people would be so described, but Indian people?

I thought I might feel sad to be away from home and family so close to the holidays and among people who do not know Jesus...but instead I have received much affection as if I were with my own family and... I feel that in a way I am living very close to the first Christmas... perhaps among the descendents of the people God loved so much that He sent a star to show them the way to Himself.  People so reverent they would travel for more than 2 years to show respect to the Child whose birth was announced by the miracle of a new star.  God’s gift of love... He gave Himself, so we might love Him and love one another…



Such a time of love… a wonderful time for a wedding!!!

Good Night, Dear Ones.  We are greatly loved by our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment